UniversitÚ de Lyon > UniversitÚ de Lyon
About the UniversitÚ de Lyon
Copyright © Aldo Amoretti
The Université de Lyon federates and promotes the remarkable scientific research potential of the Lyon Saint-Étienne site. In addition, it initiates and coordinates important projects for the site's future. These projects cover many areas: Master's degrees and PhD programs, research and innovation, disabled-friendly services, digital technologies, student life, interactions between sciences and society, and the campuses' property development strategy.
The Université de Lyon works in partnership with the local authorities (the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region, Métropole de Lyon and Saint-Étienne Métropole) as well as research centers. The Université de Lyon also works in close collaboration with businesses, thereby building numerous operational bridges between researchers, students (including PhD students) and corporations.
In addition, the Université de Lyon initiates and coordinates important projects for the site's future -for example, the Campus Plan (Plan Campus) and Investments for the Future (Programmes Investissements d'Avenir) programs-, acting as a strategic player for the Lyon Saint-Étienne metropolitan area.
Join us and let's work together for the benefit of all: our missions
Attractiveness and territorial development
- To develop sustainable campuses
- To establish global contracts with the French government
- To cooperate with metropolitan and regional authorities
- To promote learning with Information and Communications Technologies (ICT)
- To encourage entrepreneurship
- To promote interdisciplinary programs
Research strategy and technology transfer
- To promote high-level scientific expertise at international level (LabEx)
- To coordinate strategic scientific equiment (EquipEx)
- To promote innovation, research development, knowledge and technology transfer (SATT)
- To develop, monitor and promote PhD programs
- To promote the "Université de Lyon" brand throughout the world
- To foster privileged partnerships that integrate education and research (International Alliance)
- To coordinate support tools to increase inward mobility of international PhD students and researchers (Espace Ulys)
Sciences and Society
- To foster constructive dialogue between academics, researchers and society at large
THE AVENIR LYON SAINT-ÉTIENNE PROGRAM (PALSE)
As part of the Investments for the Future program (Programmes Investissements d’Avenir) launched by the French government, the Université de Lyon has sponsored numerous projects. One notable example is the "Excellence Initiatives” (Initiatives d’Excellence – IDEX) project, which seeks to develop and promote the excellence of the site and to lay the groundwork for its transformation, in order to create the university of tomorrow. The Université de Lyon has enjoyed great successes in this area, with some three dozen prize-winning projects and funding amounting to nearly €1 billion.
Furthermore, the Board of Governors of the Université de Lyon approved in May 2012 to pursue the procedure proposed by the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research to obtain an "Excellence Initiatives" label within a period of three years. This procedure, now known as the Avenir Lyon Saint-Étienne Program (PALSE), is supported by a grant of €27 million over three years. Funded initiatives support the site's transformation, and enhance its attractiveness, international impact, as well as research and education potential.
> 12 member institutions
> 19 associated institutions
> 17 doctoral schools
> 137,600 students
> 5,400 PhD students
> 12,600 international students
> 6,800 researchers and teacher-researchers
> 168 public laboratories
> Nearly 1,000 theses defended each year
Foreword from the President