University of Lyon > UniversitÚ de Lyon
UniversitÚ de Lyon
The Université de Lyon federates and promotes the remarkable scientific research potential of the Lyon Saint-Etienne site. In addition, it initiates and coordinates important projects for the site's future concerning: master's and doctoral degree programmes, research and innovation, disabled-friendly services, the digital field, student life, science & society interactions and issues, and the campuses' property development strategy.
The Université de Lyon works in partnership with the local authorities (the Rhône-Alpes Region and the Urban Communities of Lyon and Saint-Étienne) and research bodies, and in close collaboration with businesses, thereby building numerous operational bridges between researchers, students (including PhD students) and companies.
In addition, the Université de Lyon initiates and coordinates important projects for the future of the site (for example, the "Campus Plan" and "Investments in the Future"programmes), acting as a key strategic player for the Greater Lyon and Saint-Étienne metropolitan area.
Université de Lyon: work together for the benefit of all and join our forces... Our missions
Attractiveness and territorial developement
- Development of sustainable campuses
- Global contracts with the French Government
- Cooperation with metropolitan and regional governments
- ICT and digital pedagogy
- Promotion of entrepreneurship
- Interdisciplinary curricula
Research strategy and technology transfer
- Promotion of the key scientific expertise at international level (LABEX)
- Coordination of strategic scientific equipments (EQUIPEX)
- Innovation, research development and knowledge and technology transfer (SATT)
- Management, monitoring and promotion of PhDs
- Branding of the Université de Lyon and its training and research
- Fostering of privileged partnerships integrating education and research (International Alliance)
- Coordination of welcoming and support tools for inwards mobility of foreign doctorates and researchers (Espace Ulys)
Science and Society
- Providing an effective and innovative interface for fostering dialogue between teachers, researchers and society
THE AVENIR LYON SAINT-ÉTIENNE PROGRAMME (PALSE)
Within the framework of the "Investments in the Future" Programme launched by the French government, the Université de Lyon has sponsored numerous projects. One notable example is the "Excellence Initiatives" (Idex) project, which seeks to develop and promote the excellence of the site and to lay the groundwork for its transformation with the goal of creating the university of tomorrow. The Université de Lyon has enjoyed real success in this area, with some three dozen prize-winning projects and funding amounting to nearly €1 billion.
Furthermore, the Board of Governors of the Université de Lyon approved in May 2012 pursuing the procedure proposed by the French Minister of Higher Education and Research for obtaining an "Excellence Initiatives" label within a period of three years. This procedure, now known as the Avenir Lyon Saint-Étienne Programme (PALSE), will be supported by a grant of €27 million over three years. Funded initiatives will favour the site's transformation, furthering its attractiveness, its international influence, its research potential and its training potential.
> 12 member institutions
> 14 associated institutions
> 17 doctoral schools
> 137,600 students
>5,400 PhD students
>12,600 foreign students
> 6,800 teacher-researchers
> 168 public laboratories
> 900 thesis defense every year