University of Lyon > Research > Doctoral Studies
The Doctoral Studies Department
The Doctoral Studies department manages the coordination of the 17 doctoral schools covering several disciplinary fields in the domains of pure science and social and human science.
8 institutions accredited to award doctoral degrees:
- Université Claude Bernard Lyon1,
- Université Lumière Lyon2,
- Université Jean Moulin Lyon3,
- Université Jean Monnet Saint Etienne,
- Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon,
- Ecole Centale de Lyon,
- Institut National des Sciences Appliquées (INSA), Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint Etienne (ENSMSE)
- 5,400 PhD students, of which 2,300 are foreign students
- 900 thesis defended/year
- 370 international joint PhDs
Doctoral Studies Department: the main objectives are to
- offer PhD students doctoral training to acquire the skills required by managers and project leaders.
- manage the Université de Lyon’s Docteur-Consultant programme and organise or support other immersion and work-placement programmes which take place during or after the doctoral thesis.
- collect and communicate information on sources of thesis funding and on scientific invitations to tender.
- facilitate access to job offers for doctors, in partnership with the stakeholders concerned, and strengthen entrepreneurship among PhD graduates.
- provide support for Phd student associations whose goal is to establish links with the socio-economic sector (organisation of meetings between PhD students and companies etc.)
- collect and centralise information concerning the professional activity of doctors: employers, jobs, fields of activity etc.
- develop an information system to collect and update all pertinent information concerning PhD students and their research activity, in collaboration with the doctoral schools and institutions.
Doctoral Studies department
Université de Lyon
Quartier Sergent Blandan
37 rue du Repos
69361 Lyon cedex 07
+33 (0)4 37 37 26 91
Discover our 17 Doctoral Schools